Monday, January 13, 2014

Influenced by nutrition

Today was started with some fruit, nuts and a coffee.  The schedule goes like this:

5 meals per day consisting of 2 thirds fruit/veg and 1 third protein/grain.

No eating 2-3 hours before bed.  Why?  The only time adults get growth hormone is 2 hrs into their regular sleep.  This hormone is essential to keeping and maintaining muscle mass.  Eating too close to bed will cause insulin to rise and shift the leptin clock.  The nutritional value of food will be depleted.  Losing 4 pound of muscle this year was a bummer for me.  My late night eating/broken sleep probably had much to do with it. 

Why am I going to do this?  I want my regular cycle back.  I want good sleep.  I want to keep my blood pressure healthy.  I want to quiet chronic inflammation that I know runs in my family and I already have signs of.  The focus of yesterdays lecture was to eat no artificial ingredients and read labels.  To summarize, the food we eat should have walked/run, swum, been grown (not in a lab) or flown.  Sticking to those basic formalities will keep me eating real food. 

Alcohol.  Who doesn't love a glass of wine?  Just a reminder it burdens the liver, slows metabolism, disrupts sleep and is inflammatory!








No comments:

Post a Comment