Thursday, May 30, 2013

Recovery and post evaluation

Finished in 4 hrs and 11 mins. It would have been much longer as I probably would have walked it in if it hadn't been for Sam pulling me through to the end.  From the get go I was pretty much out of breath.  I kept with the 3:55 pacer until the half way stage and of course was on target but I was breathing heavy.  It wasn't comfortable hard but uncomfortable hard.  It makes me realize I have to get fitter to feel comfortable at that pace.  I didn't get any sleep the night before which doesn't help matters.  Also, since working full time I haven't been able to dedicate to the running like I should have.  I did miss some important aerobic conditioning 6 milers - those ones that appear on the schedule mid week.  I always managed the distance run but I realize now that real works happens in those mid week runs as thats the time to pick up the pace on the shorter distance runs.

What could I do?  Advice from my sister is to train for swimming at the same time to get the lungs used to being worked in different ways.  She also suggests cutting down on red meat and trying to be a vegetarian.  I do appreciate Michael Pollen's advice:  eat mainly plants.  I know the yoga that I was doing up until I got my full time work was super important for my hips.  The aches and pains started early on in the marathon.  I need to get back on a regular yoga schedule and open up those areas.  I also need to get out of breath more because I do not do it.  Interval training or zumba or anything that pumps up my heart rate would do me the world of good.  I have to make the decision to train very hard for the next 8 weeks and get the fitness that I need if I want to try to this again before the Boston entry deadline in mid September.

Diet wise I am drinking alcohol, eating grains and beans this week to celebrate whilst being on holiday. I would like to continue the low sugar and no grains once I return to Seattle.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment